Tuesday 15 December 2009

Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire - December 15, 2009

Jemma Hartman thought this summer at Camp Star Lake would be the best summer ever. And that was especially because her best ever friend, Tammy (Tamela), who had moved away a year ago, would be there with her. They would both be happy alone, and now both of them would not have to rely on letters or e-mails to talk to each other. Their plans were to marry twin brothers and have children that would be friends to each other. Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire by Brenda A. Ferber tells you what's it's like to almost lose a best friend. I have had many exeriences like this before, and I know how it feels to be abandoned. I felt pity for Jemma when she had to do everything for Brooke. That brat. Brooke Bernstein is Tammy's cousin, and she is coming to camp too. Jemma hadn't known about this, and when Tammy only spends time with Brooke and not with her, she realizes that Tammy has not just moved away houses, but friendship too. I could make many connections to this book while I was reading it because I have had many problems with friends in my life. When there is a problem, I calm down and privately speak to the person that is doing the thing I am not satisfied with. To me, It made no sense when Jemma felt so curious about everything that Tammy did for Brooke and how mad she was when Brooke and Tammy took her saved seat on the bus to camp. Maybe it will not be Jemma-and-Tammy, but Tammy-and-Brooke forever.
The characters' personalities are quite unusual. Jemma has glasses, long and straight brown hair, and a soft spot for friendship. She is very sensitive but at the end decides to stand up for herself. Tammy has a habit of changing her mind quite frequently. She wants to be friends in a triangle, with Jemma and Brooke, but it does not come out the way she had planned it to be. Both Brooke and Jemma just want to have Tammy to theirselves. Tammy doesn't know what to do. So she sticks with Brooke. Delaney is another character in this book. Delaney loves yoga and she is at first a shy girl who thinks nobody likes her because they think she is weird. Any spare time she has she practices yoga. But at the end of this story, Delaney shows everyone in Camp Star Lake that she can be a bright, lively girl too.
This problem was solved in a particularly unordinary way. Jemma and Delaney win the Star Lake Cup, which is a cup that two girls get for sailing in a competition and winning, and become, in a weird way, friends. As I came over to the end of this book, I thought about a better ending for it, and I came up with Tammy, Delaney, and Jemma all being friends, and Brooke just being unhappy and huffy. I wish that Tammy did not care as much for her. Even though I was only reading the book, I felt annoyed of Brooke. But the ending was cool anyway. So happily ever after. There. Well, not really. I don't know about Tammy and Jemma becoming friends again, but it looks like Brooke is going to be abandoned and Jemma will get her best friend back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment